Thursday, January 04, 2007

Deschooling for Unschooling Voices.

I think that when it comes to deschooling , it is me that is really going through all the emotions and transitions associated with it. My children have never attended school so they don't have much to deschool from. We did try school at home for a bit , so they do have that. I find that I need to take all the schooly thoughts and feelings out of my head on a daily basis STILL, and my oldest is almost 10! I tend to have some panic attacks on a every 5 month or basis but my children are the ones that ground me back into the NOW. They wont let me stay in school mind set for long. It scares me to think that I am so brainwashed by my years in school that I even have to deschool. Is school that ingrained in all of our brains? It sure is. That , to me, is yet another reason to unschool. I think that schooly thought is what rules alot of the things going on in our society. There is a hierarchy in school that carries on into adulthood that creates alot of the bad things going on. The lack of respect for someone older/younger, the thought that you are owed something just because, the lack of work ethic and of course the loss of self confidence and respect (which leads to a whole heck of alot of other bad things ). Those are just a few things to glance at! That's really scary.
Deschooling hasn't been a easy road for me at all. It has been one of alot of bumps, humps and jitters. Alot of self exploration and patience. ALOT of biting my tongue and faking it. I sort of live by the adage fake it till you make it..lol...becuase my kids already knew what they needed to do. They already KNOW what they need to learn. They already see learning in everything. They are already their own little perfect human beans. I just need to get the heck outta their way..lol
cheers
sarah

No comments: